Fibromyalgia Treatment Center in New York City
Fibromyalgia (FMS) is characterized by three cardinal symptoms–widespread musculoskeletal pain that persists for greater than three months with no evidence of inflammation, sleep disordered patterns and 11 of the 18 multiple tender points according to the American College of Rheumatology.
We do know that FMS is not a muscle pain but an array of symptoms. It has been long thought to be a psychosomatic problem. Patients should be aware that their disease is not deforming, degenerative, life threatening or imaginary. However, it can be debilitating and can be treated.
The etiology of FMS is unclear. It sometimes is preceded by flu-like illnesses which can be caused by a virus. There are a number of atypical bacteria such as mycoplasma and other viruses such as EBV, CMV, Parvovirus 19 and even Lymes that have been implicated.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Psychological disturbance
- Restless leg syndrome
- Irritable bowel symptoms
- Morning stiffness
- Memory lapses
- Sleep disturbance
- Joint pain without swelling
There are many conventional treatment options for each symptom such as tricyclics for sleep disturbance and even lidocaine 1% injections at trigger points. At Fratellone Medical Associates, we also test for underlying heavy metal intoxication using a DMSA Provocative Urine Challenge. If the results are positive, then we begin chelation therapy.
- Be tested for food allergies and eliminate them from your diet. We test by using IgG RAST food allergy panel for 49 common foods.
- Decrease overall intake of all refined carbohydrates
- Eliminate inflammatory foods, dairy and coffee
- Have a dietary consultation
At Fratellone Medical we use both oral and intravenous supplements. Some of the oral supplements we use are:
- Vitamin C >4,000mg /day to decrease inflammation
- CoQ10 200mg/day to increase oxygenation to the cells
- Chromium 200mcg with meals to reduce hypoglycemia
- Magnesium taurate 400mg 3x/day to alleviate pain
- 5HTP to alleviate depression after a neurotransmitter test is done
- B vitamins to relieve stress
- Zinc for immune function
We also have unique intravenous protocols with some of the above vitamins. In addition, we utilize intravenous glutathione and even phosphatidyl choline, which may counteract the stress and induce activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in the body.
Herbs are a great way to stimulate the immune system of the body. Some herbs that are generally used are:
- Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticsos)
- Ashwaganda root (Withnaia somnifera)
- Gotu kola (Centella asiatica)
- Astragalus root (Astragalus membrancceus)
Herbs that alleviate pain are:
- Kava kava (Piper methysticum)
- Black cohash (Cimicifuga racemosa)
- Passionflower (Passiflora incarnate)
- Lavender (Lavendula officinalis
Herbs are drugs and should be monitored by a health care practitioner.
- Physical medicine
Our approach at Fratellone medical treatment center is to provide our patients for extensive ongoing conventional medical care, while providing the most effective integration with alternative treatments.