In my practice, I see at least 3 new patients per day with Lyme. More than 50% of individuals recall ever seeing a tick on their body. Less than 45% even get a rash on their body. I feel we have reached epidemic status with Lyme. There are 25,000 or more cases per month.
Did you know that one tick can transmit more than 15 different diseases? This is scary. Protection is the new word for the average person to prevent Lyme.
There are many little tidbits of information that can used. Here are some suggestions
- Wear loose clothing and not dense fabric.
- Once done with the hike or in the garden, check for new brown spots which can be ticks.
- Do not bring the clothes you were wearing in the house – leave them in the laundry room.
- Toss the clothes in the dryer on a hot temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Do a tick check every time you come inside. It must be a through check!