Addiction is here to stay. We know this because of the ever increasing addiction population and the statistics. There are 24 million individuals who suffer from addiction in the USA.
There are overwhelming statistics
1. 2.6 million people with addictions have a dependence on both alcohol and illicit drugs
2. 9.4 million people in 2011 reported driving under the influence of illicit drugs.
3. 6.8 million people with an addiction have a mental illness
4. Rates of illicit drug use is highest among those aged 18 to 25.
5. 100 people die every day from drug overdoses. This rate has tripled in the past 20 years.
6. Over 5 million emergency room visits in 2011 were drug related
7. Over 90% of those with an addiction began drinking, smoking or using illicit drugs before the age of 18.
I know about addiction from both a medical standpoint and even a personal standpoint. Being sober more than 23 years – the neurotransmitters as serotonin , dopamine and nopradrenaline are involved in the addiction process.
The metabolism of folate and B12 and methylation is involved in the addiction process. The blood test, homocysteine should be measured as well as MTHFR genes, B12 and folate levels.
The addict needs to be supported medically by nutrition as in amino acids, minerals, vitamins and even essential fats. There needs to be an individualized plan for every addict include all aspects of body mind and spirit. Addiction treatment not only involves a safe detox but meetings, psychotherapy as well as a balanced dietary and exercise lifestyle change
More physicians need to understand this complex disease called Addiction.
Happy Joyous and Free